Friday, July 13, 2012

Welcome Home

    It was two weeks ago today, that we have adopted are two cockatiels and welcomed them into our home. I have become so attached to them, and love them so much. But let me tell you the story on how they became part of our family.
    I was visiting some friends one morning before work, and I was talking with their cockatiels like I always do when I visit their house. I knew that they had taken the birds in, a little less than a year before, when their previous owner was suffering from severe Alzheimer's and had to be moved to an assisted living home. My friends also own 5 dogs, and had little time to actually spend with the birds. As I was sitting whistling and talking to them, Katie (my best friend), asked me if I wanted to take them home. I was surprised that she asked, but also exited and happy. I loved them, and I knew I could give them a better home with more love and attention. I screamed out "Absolutely", and that is when they became "my babies"!
    Like I said before, it has been two weeks since I brought them home, and I have been working on earning their trust every day since. They were already some-what tame, but they have been caged up so long, that they lost a little of their human companionship. They will both sit on my shoulder, but they run from my hands. I usually have to get them to step onto a small bad-mitten racket, and then transfer them to my shoulder. The female (i assume she is female from her tail stripes and personality) will occasionally step-up onto my finger, but only after i chase her around the cage with my finger, but only if she isn't too cranky.
   I work hard on earning their trust and not forcing them into anything. I understand they have already bonded with each other, and they may never completely bond with me, but it's OK, I love them the same. I have yet to decide on names for them, because they have never been officially named. The original owner never named them, and my friends who had them before me never named them either. But I feel that they should have names as they are family. I was thinking about Mambo and Gloria after the characters in "Happy Feet", but I don't really like the name Gloria. Maybe you guys can look at the pictures and help me with their names.
    I have read so many books and online articles about cockatiel care, training, and health, but I understand that each bird has a personality and I am still learning their personalities. I am so happy to have them in my life and I look forward to posting more and more about our lives. Thanks for reading, and I hope you come back soon!!
The grey female on left - yet to be named
female on left, male on right sittin' pretty in their cage - yet to be named

The Male, yet to be named!



No comments:

Post a Comment