Monday, July 16, 2012

A Diet Is In Order!

    I just arrived back home last night from Paris, TN for my aunts funeral! It was a very sad weekend, but as soon as I arrived home, seeing my babies and how exited they were to see me, made me feel so much better! I really missed them, and by the way they were acting, they missed me too!
    As you may already know, my tiels' are approximately two years old. Their previous owner informed me that they have never been fed anything but seeds. I have read so many books and online articles, and even the vet has said that they should really be fed a pellet food which contains a more rounded diet. I also was advised of a good brand of cockatiel food and a brand of dried veggies and fruit for them. I went out and bought the new food immediately, but that was the easy part. I have been trying for almost three weeks now to get them to eat the new food. I started out by mixing the new food with their seeds and slowly introducing it into their breakfast. But they just picked through the food and only ate the seeds, the pellets all ended up in the bottom of the cage. I would even see them throw the pellets out of the cage! After a couple of weeks of that, I then tried to take away the seeds completely and only give them the pellets. I was thinking that if they were truly hungry, then they would try the new food. But they wouldn't have it! They screamed for almost two days until I gave them their seeds! My pearl (still yet to be named) would sit on my shoulder and purposely scream in my ear. She was obviously ticked off that I took away their favorite food! So of course, I gave in, and gave them their seeds back.
   I still mix the pellets into their seeds, but they still won't try it! I am all out of ideas, and am at a loss of what to do! Do any of you have any ideas? I love them so much and I want them to be happy, but I also want them to be as healthy as they can and eat right! What should I do?

This is the dry veggies. I add a couple peicesinto their breakfast, but they won't even try it!

This is the new pellet food recomended by my vet!

My baby! She is the one who will purposely throw the pellets out of the cage!

No comments:

Post a Comment